Eusebio Mujal Leon
Profesor de la Universidad de Georgetown
Ph.D. (Political Science) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (June 1980)
M.A. (International Relations) Catholic University of America (May 1975)
J.D. (Law) Catholic University of America (October 1974)
B.A. (History) Catholic University of America (May 1971)
Associate Professor of Government Georgetown University (1984- )
Assistant Professor of Government Georgetown University (1979-1984)
Chair, Department of Government (1996-2002)
Co-Director, International Institute on Government, Management and Policy (2000-2004).
Member, Executive Faculty, Georgetown University (1996-2002).
Co-Director, M.A. in Development Management (1998- ).
This is a joint program of Georgetown University with the Universidad Nacional de San Martin (Argentina).
Co-Director, M.A. in Democracy and Governance (2007- ).
Honors and awards
Awarded the title of Caballero in the Order of Isabel la Católica in the name of the King Juan Carlos I of Spain (March 1990).
J. William Fulbright Fellowship Award at the University of Madrid (Autónoma) for the Spring 1994 Semester.
Nave Lecturer in the Iberoamerican Studies Program at the University of Wisconsin in Madison (February 1990).
Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholar of the Smithsonian Institution (1989-90).
Fellow at the Hoover Institution (1989-90). Declined.
Visiting Fellow, Center of International Studies, Princeton University with a Tinker Foundation Award for Research on Soviet-Latin American Relations (1984-1986).
U.S.-Spanish Joint Committee for Educational and Cultural Affairs Fellowship Grant (Summer 1980).
Helen Dwight Reid Foundation Grant (1978-79).
Social Science Research Council (SSRC) International Doctoral Fellowship Award for Western Europe (1977-1978).
Pre-Dissertation Fellowship Award of the Council for European Studies (Summer 1975).
Fellowship Award of the Center for International Studies at M.I.T. (1974-1976).
Tuition Award of the Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law (1971-1974).
Authored books and monographs:
Communism and Political Change in Spain (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1983).
The Cuban University under the Revolution (University of Miami -- Institute of Inter-American Studies, 1988).
European Socialism and the Conflict in Central America (New York: Praeger, 1989).
Die Sozialistische Internationale in den 80er Jahren (Munich: Frederick Schonningh, 1995) [co-author Ann-Sofie Nilsson].
Las Ideas Democráticas -- Armas de la Libertad (Washington, D.C.: Agency for International Development, 1998).
Beyond Exceptionalism: Essays on Cuba in Comparative Perspective (in progress).
Edited books and journals:
Spain at the Polls: The General Elections of 1977, 1979 and 1982 (Raleigh: Duke University Press, 1985).
Latin American Politics and Society: A "New" Cultural Research Agenda? Published as a special issue of the journal World Affairs (Fall 1987).
The USSR and Latin America in the 1980s -- A Developing Relationship? (Unwin & Hyman, 1989).
Main articles and chapters
- “Can Cuba Change: Tensions in the Regime,” Journal of Democracy, vol. 20, no. 1 (January 2009), pp. 20-35.
- “Beyond Exceptionalism – Civil-Military Relations in Cuba” in Claudio Fuentes and Felipe Agüero (eds.), Power Relations, Military Reaccommodation and Frustrated Reforms in Post-Transitional Politics in Latin America (forthcoming) (with Lorena Buzon-Perez).
- “Is Castroism a Political Religion?” in Robert Mallett (ed.), The Sacred in Politics – Essays in Honor of Stanley Payne (Macmillan, 2009) (with Eric Langenbacher).
- “Much Ado about Something? Regime Change in Cuba,” Problems of Post - Communism (XLVI), November-December 2001, pp. 6-19 (with Joshua Busby).
- "Cuba en los Años 90 -- El Postotalitarismo-Carismático en Perspectiva Comparada," Encuentro (Madrid), Winter 1997.
- "Eastern Europe and Latin America: Partnership or Competition on the Road to Development?" in Susan K. Purcell and Francoise Simon (eds.), Europe and Latin America in the World Economy (Boulder: Lynne Rienner and Co., 1995).
- "A Futura Orientacao da Politica Externa Espanhola: Os Desafios dos Anos 90," Política Internacional (Lisbon), no. 9 (Fall 1994), pp. 145-175.
- "La URSS y América Latina: Una Relación en Vías de Desarrollo" in Roberto Russell (ed.), Nuevos Rumbos en la Relación Unión Soviética/América Latina (Buenos Aires: Grupo Editor Latinoamericano/FLACSO, 1990).
- "Central America and the New International Political Order: The Eurosocialist Dimension," International Journal, XLIII (Summer 1988), pp. 446-472. (with Hernan Gutierrez).
- "The SPD and the Politics of Organized Internationalism -- The Case of Central America," Journal of Inter-American Studies, XXIX (Winter 1987-88), pp. 89-124.
- "Europa Occidental y los Procesos de Democratización en América Latina" in Carlos Huneeus (ed.), Para Vivir la Democracia -- Dilemas de su Consolidación (Editorial Andante, 1987).
- "The Foreign Policy of the Socialist Government," in Stanley G. Payne, (ed.) The Politics of Democratic Spain (The Chicago Council on Foreign Relations, 1986), pp. 197-244.
- "Soviet Strategic Perspectives on Latin America in the 1980's," World Affairs,CXLIX (Fall 1986), pp. 101-106.
- "Decline and Fall of Spanish Communism," Problems of Communism, XXXV (March-April 1986), pp. 1-27.
- "La Política Iberoamericana de España" in Enrique Boloyra (ed.), España e Iberoamérica en los Años 80 (Madrid: Instituto de Cooperación Iberoamericana, 1985).
- "The Media and the Transition to Democracy in Spain and Portugal," Journal of International Affairs, XXXVIII (Winter 1985), pp. 349-356.
- "Spain and Latin America: The Quest for Partnership" in Howard Wiarda (ed.), The Iberian-Latin American Connection: Implications for U.S. Foreign Policy (Westview, 1986).
- "European Socialism and the Central American Crisis" in Howard Wiarda (ed.), The Crisis in Central America (American Enterprise Institute and University Press of America, 1984). Revised and updated versions of this paper appeared in Foro Internacional [Mexico City] (Winter1983) and in Orbis [Philadelphia] (Spring 1984).
- "The Spanish Communists and the Search for Electoral Space" in Howard Penniman and Eusebio Mujal-León (eds.), Spain at the Polls: The General Elections of 1977, 1979 and 1982 (Duke University Press, 1985).
- "Spanish Politics Between the Old Regime and the New Majority," in Howard Penniman and Eusebio Mujal-León (eds.), Spain at the Polls: The General Elections of 1977, 1979 and 1982 (Duke University Press, 1985).
- "The Foreign Policy of Socialist Spain," Foreign Policy, no. 51 (Summer 1983), pp. 101-117.
- "The Soviet and Spanish Communist Parties: Policies, Tactics, and Negotiating Behavior," Studies in Comparative Communism, XV, no. 3 (Autumn 1982), pp. 236-265.
- "The Left and the Catholic Question in Spain," West European Politics, V, no. 2 (Spring 1982), pp. 32-55.
- "Spanish Democracy in Crisis," The Washington Quarterly, V (Spring 1982), pp. 101-107.
- "Spain: Generational Perspectives on Foreign Policy," in Stephen Szabo (ed.), The Successor Generation (Butterworth's, 1982).
- "Comment on 'Patterns of Politics in Portugal since the April Revolution'" in Simon Serfaty and Jorge Braga de Macedo (eds.), Portugal Since the Revolution: Economic and Political Perspectives (Westview Press, 1981).
- "Cataluña, Carrillo and Eurocommunism," Problems of Communism, XXX, no. 2 (March-April 1981), pp. 25-47.
- "Catalanismo, the Left, and the Consolidation of Centrism in Spain," World Affairs, CXLIII (Winter 1980/1981), pp. 298-317. This was a revised version of a paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Council for European Studies in October 1980.