ASIA EN EL MUNDO ACTUAL
Coordinador de programas en el Club de Madrid.
T.1 Introduction: Asia Pacific as an emerging actor in the 21st Century
- Historical relevance of the Asia Pacific Region Indian and China as two new super powers.
- Heterogeneity of Asia Pacific Geopolitical implications of the re-emergence of the region.
T.2. South Asia
- Key elements to understand the region: geographical, identity, religion, culture.
- The colonial experience and the partition.
- India and Pakistan as independent countries during the Cold War.
T.3. South Asia II India and Pakistan in the 21st Century
- National Political Developments in India and Pakistan.
- Narendra Modi’s politics and analysis about India’s future.
T.4/5. China I and II
- Historical perspective of the rising of Popular Republic of China.
- Internal dynamics, national challenges, the Xi Presidency.
- Geopolitical position of China. The Belt and the Road strategy.
T.6. South East Asia I Introduction to the region: diversity and interdependence
- Decolonization and process of national construction.
- The regional development and the significance of ASEAN.
- The economic miracle of the Asian Tigers.
T.7. South East Asia II
- National analysis of South East Asian countries: the triumph of Soft Authoritarianism.
- Islam in Asia: Indonesia and Malaysia.
- Myanmar and the paradox of Aung San Suu Kyi.
T.8-9. Central Asia
- The historical background and the Soviet years.
- The difficult path from independence to sovereignty Kyrgyzstan, the challenges of the democratic example of the region.
T.10. Japan and the Korean Peninsula
- The Meiji Years: from isolation to imperialism.
- The Post War experience: economic resurgence and democracy.
- National politics and regional challenges.
T.11. Japan and the Korean Peninsula
- The Korean War and the partition.
- The different paths of the two Koreas.
- Current nuclear proliferation risks.