INCOME PROFILE FOR THE DEGREE IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND EUROPEAN UNION
In order to define the ideal profile for new students entering the double degree in International Relations and European Union who wish to access this degree, we take into account the final educational objectives that we propose to achieve:
- Motivated, creative and open-minded students. We want our students to be intellectually challenged and willing to work, both personally and as part of a team. In this regard, the selection process pays particular attention to the candidates' capacities for interaction and dialogue. It is also important that the learner is able to understand that subjects are not watertight compartments, but are part of an overall plan or system of knowledge. A number of basic skills are assessed, including: reading comprehension and text interpretation skills; writing and public speaking. In addition, it insists on the vocation of service and the values of democracy, respect for fundamental rights and social justice.
- Internationalization. Students following this Degree must have a clear vocation towards internationalization. It is not possible to specialise in these European and international fields without having concerns about other cultures, other countries, other political and legal systems. The ability to adapt to new environments, especially during mobility, but also when integrating the many foreign students who year after year choose our courses, is also a must. Therefore, during the selection process, experiences outside Spain are valued and a geographical balance is sought. We train students to develop professional careers outside Spain, so that their time at the CEU is a springboard to the international professional arena.
- Multilingualism. In addition to the entrance requirements (the command of languages other than English is valued positively), there is the need to learn second and third languages (French and/or German), as well as to actively participate in seminars, projects and activities that use foreign languages as a working tool in an environment that reproduces professional situations that they will face upon completion of their studies.
- Future professionals. Candidates must have a solid scientific background. The aim is that, by the end of their training, students will have mastered the language of the social sciences and especially the language of International Relations and the European Union, and at the same time will have a good understanding of a basic map of concepts and tools and will know how to apply them to solve the practical problems that arise.
- Comprehensive training. This will be of an integral nature, which means that it must be dogmatic - theoretical and systematic - but also practical and committed. In this context, dialogue as a learning tool, and the technique of debate are enhanced. This training must be, and is, essential and systematic, so that the fundamental concepts can be clearly understood.
In short, we configure a teaching model that ensures continuous and eminently practical learning, in order to facilitate access to the labour market and social reality and to successfully exercise the required European and international profile.
CAREER OPORTUNITIES OF THE DEGREE IN INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND EUROPEAN UNION
The career opportunities offered by the programme in International Relations and the European Union are very diverse:
- European institutions: European Commission, European Parliament, European Central Bank, Court of Justice of the European Union, General Secretariat of the European Council, Court of Auditors
- Diplomacy: Foreign Service of the State and the European Union
- International non-governmental organizations and international cooperation
- European and international journalism, information and communication
- Consulting and representation of stakeholders
- International Trade Consultancy
- Political and academic advice on European and international affairs (Universities, research and analysis centres, think tanks...)
- European agencies (Fundamental Rights Agency, Fisheries Control Agency, Environmental Agency, Air Safety Agency, FRONTEX, among others)
- National public administration at state, regional and local levels
- International department of international companies and corporations
- Spanish delegations in Community companies